Author: Mina Patel
Recipe type: Side Dish/Starter
- 6 - 8 plump Tomatoes (skinned and roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Ginger (pulped)
- 1 tsp Garlic (finely chopped)
- 5 Curry Leaves (limree)
- ½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 1-2 tsp Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- Dry roast the Urad Dal, cool and blitz to a course powder (I use a coffee grinder)
- Heat the oil in a pan till it starts to haze.
- Lower the heat and add the mustard seeds allowing them to splutter.
- Add in the ginger paste and chopped garlic.
- Stir, and add the curry leaves.
- Don't let the mixture burn.
- Now add in the tomatoes and turn the heat up slightly.
- Add the roasted urad dal powder, chilli powder, vinegar, sugar and salt.
- You want the mixture on a gentle simmer for approx 5-8 minutes.
- Taste and adjust.