Spicy Battered Potato Bites (Bataka Vada)
Author: Mina Patel
Recipe type: Starter/Side Dish
- 6 medium sized potatoes
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 4 green chillies pulped
- 1 tsp ginger pulped
- ½ tsp garlic pulped
- 1 tsp salt adjust to taste
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tsp coriander cumin powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- oil for deep frying
- Khiru- batter ingredients
- 1 cup chick pea flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- Boil potatoes and mash. Allow to cool.
- Add green chilli, ginger and garlic pulp.
- Add in the finely chopped onions, the salt, sugar, lemon juice, garam masala. Add coriander and cumin powder, sesame seeds and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients well and taste the mixture. None of the flavours should be overpowering. Adjust to taste. (I needed more lemon)
- Divide the mixture into 30 slightly smaller than Golf ball sized balls.
- Khiru - batter:
- Add the salt and pinch of turmeric to the chick pea flour, and a tsp of red chilli powder,
- Add a cup of lukewarm water to the flour and mix to make the batter. May need a bit more to make a double cream like consistency.
- Now drop 5 potato balls in batter,
- Heat the oil for deep frying. I use a lawyu (small wok like pan).
- Evenly coat each potato ball in the batter and deep fry until the bataka vada's are golden brown in colour.