http://huertodelcura.com/tag/madrugada/feed/ I love making batches of these Banana Crisps, for when I’m entertaining. I put bowls out when serving drinks and they go pretty quick, even my two-year-old niece’s claim a bowl each.
- 3 green bananas (plantain)
- 1½ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp green chilli / garlic (pulped)
- Oil for frying.
- Mix the green chilli, garlic, and salt in the bowl of water and set aside.
- Use a small wok, (
lawyu) add oil and place over medium heat.
- Peel the bananas (1 at a time - use a knife as they are not like normal bananas)
- Thinly slice half of the banana.
- Gently drop in the heated oil and fry for a minute or two until they are just changing colour.
- Now this is the magic bit (do this quickly carefully and step away) - add a ladle (1/4 cup) of your spicy water mix to the frying bananas in the wok.
- Sounds mad but trust me - it will sizzle and bubble but step away you don't want to get burnt.
- When the bubbles settle, remove spiced crispy crisps.
- Drain on kitchen towel
- Repeat with the rest of the bananas.
I do say use a small wok to fry as the spiced water in the oil makes it unusable again! You can flavour your water with salt and pepper, salt and malt vinegar pretty much and herbs or spices you like just don’t try sauces – they splutter!