This is typically served for breakfast in India but with the lifestyle over here I think it's better served as a main for lunch or dinner - great at a dinner party as you can have it all prepped and ready before your guests arrive leaving you time to mingle.
Author: Mina Patel
- 2 cups Rice
- 1 cup Urad Dal (white)
- 1 - 2 tsp Salt
- A pinch of Baking Soda
- Oil for greasing
- 2 Cup Tuvar Dal
- 1 large Tomato
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 Red Chilles
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Tamarind paste
- 4 tbsp Mixed Vegetables (either fresh or frozen)
- 1 heaped tsp Garlic / Ginger / Green Chilli paste
- Few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil
- *Coconut Coriander Chutney
- 1 fresh coconut (grated)
- 3 fresh green chilies or as per taste
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp split peas (roasted)
- ¾ cup plain yogurt (if you're vegan replace yogurt with 3 tomatoes and a tspof sugar)
- ½ tsp Salt (adjust To Taste)
- For the Idli
- Wash and soak the urad dal and rice separately overnight.
- Drain rice and dal.
- Grind the rice coarsely in a blender.
- Blend the dal into a smooth and forthy paste.
- Now mix the ground rice and dal making a batter.
- Add salt and set aside in a warm place for 8-9 hours for fermenting.
- Add the baking soda and stir briskly.
- Grease the idli holder and fill each of them with ¾ full of batter.
- Steam cook idlis on medium heat for about 12 minutes or until done.
- Use a butter knife to remove the idlis.
- For the Sambar
- Pressure cook the tuvar dal, tomato and salt for three whistles or boil until soft.
- When cooked through sieve and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan, add mustard and Cumin seeds and when they splutter add red chillies, green chillies, curry leaves, asafoetida, turmeric and mixed veg.
- Stir fry till softened.
- Now tip,in the tuvar dal and allow it to simmer.
- Add the tamarind and allow to simmer..
- Taste and adjust (you may want to add lemon juice and a tsp of brown sugar)
- For the Chutney
- Blend all the ingredients coarsely in a food processor.
- Taste and adjust as required.