Garlic Chilli Chicken Curry
A fragrant home style curry that has oodles of flavour! A firm favourite in our home with variations using Paneer for the vegetarians, Cauliflower for the vegan but generally chicken for him indoors and any of our friends who may happen to pop in. I hope you enjoy it as much as my lot do.
Author: Mina Patel
Recipe type: Main
- 2 Large Onions (chunky slices)
- 5 tbsp Oil
- 1 kg Chicken breast cut into pieces
- 5 Cardamoms
- 10 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Cloves
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 4 tsp Ground Coriander Cumin Powder
- 2 ½ tsp Salt (adjust to suit you)
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger (minced)
- 5 Garlic Cloves (roughly chopped - nice chunks)
- ½ tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ cup water (as needed)
- 5 Green jalapeño type chilies
- 2 green chillies (deseeded and sliced) optional
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- Coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- When the oil starts to haze add the cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves and peppercorns.
- Allow the spices to sizzle (this will favour the oil) before adding the onion.
- Stir fry till the onion becomes translucent.
- Wash and cut the chicken breasts to bite size pieces.
- Add in the chicken pieces and mix well.
- Now add the red chilli powder, coriander cumin powder, salt, turmeric, ginger and chunks of garlic.
- Simmer for a few minutes, and then add the chopped tomatoes, purée (and a bit of water - use sparingly as the chicken will release liquid so wait and add only as needed)
- Mix well and turn the heat up.
- Once bubbling, lower the heat and add whole jalapeño chilli peppers.
- Allow to simmer. (Stir frequently to ensure it doesn't stick to bottom of your pot) or alternatively tip into a slow cooker (high for 3 hours).
- Once chicken is cooked through and tender add in the garam masala.
- If cooking on the hob remove the lid, and turn the heat up.
- Allow it to bubble until you have the desired sauce consistency. (5 minutes give or take)
- Garnish with chopped coriander and slices green chillies (definitely optional)
- Taste and adjust any spices / salt etc and if a tad tangy add a bit of sugar.
- Stir and Enjoy.