A moorishly delicious Indian shortbread.
Author: Mina Patel
Recipe type: Easy
- 1 cup White Flour
- ½ cup Castor Sugar
- 1 tbsp Semolina
- ½ tsp Cardamon Powder
- ½ cup Ghee
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- Almond slivers
- Melt Ghee and set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour and baking soda.
- Add the semolina and cardamon powder and mix.
- Now in a separate bowl cream the ghee and sugar.
- Add tablespoons of flour and bring the dough together.
- (Do this with a wooden spoon or spatula - no need for an electric mixture at this point)
- When all the flour mix is incorporated use your hands to gently knead the dough and round up any crumbs around the bowl.
- Cling wrap and place in the refrigerator for an hour to rest.
- Pre-heat oven at 170C
- Divide mixture into 16 balls and evenly place on a baking sheet.
- Press almond slivers into each pressing down gently.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
There is no need to grease the baking sheets. Do not over knead if you do you will have hard cookies not crumbly golden melt in you mouth Nan Khatai. Well that's my batch just pinged so I'm off for a well earn cuppa and a taste test! Enjoy