Garlic Chilli Chicken Curry
Author: Mina Patel
Recipe type: Main
- 2 Large Onions (chunky slices)
- 5 tbsp Oil
- 1 kg Chicken breast cut into pieces
- 5 Cardamoms
- 10 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 4 Cloves
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 4 tsp Ground Coriander Cumin Powder
- 2 ½ tsp Salt (adjust to suit you)
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger (minced)
- 5 Garlic Cloves (roughly chopped - nice chunks)
- ½ tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ cup water (as needed)
- 5 Green jalapeño type chilies
- 2 green chillies (deseeded and sliced) optional
- 1-2 tsp Garam Masala
- Coriander to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- When the oil starts to haze add the cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves and peppercorns.
- Allow the spices to sizzle (this will favour the oil) before adding the onion.
- Stir fry till the onion becomes translucent.
- Wash and cut the chicken breasts to bite size pieces.
- Add in the chicken pieces and mix well.
- Now add the red chilli powder, coriander cumin powder, salt, turmeric, ginger and chunks of garlic.
- Simmer for a few minutes, and then add the chopped tomatoes, purée (and a bit of water - use sparingly as the chicken will release liquid so wait and add only as needed)
- Mix well and turn the heat up.
- Once bubbling, lower the heat and add whole jalapeño chilli peppers.
- Allow to simmer. (Stir frequently to ensure it doesn't stick to bottom of your pot) or alternatively tip into a slow cooker (high for 3 hours).
- Once chicken is cooked through and tender add in the garam masala.
- If cooking on the hob remove the lid, and turn the heat up.
- Allow it to bubble until you have the desired sauce consistency. (5 minutes give or take)
- Garnish with chopped coriander and slices green chillies (definitely optional)
- Taste and adjust any spices / salt etc and if a tad tangy add a bit of sugar.
- Stir and Enjoy.
Cauliflower Peas Stirfry (Gaubi Matar nu Shak)
Author: Mina Patel
Recipe type: Easy
- 1 small cauliflower
- 1 cup peas (frozen is fine)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Pinch asafoetida (optional)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 green chilli (finely chopped)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp Cumin coriander powder
- Chop the head of cauliflower into little florets and rinse with cold water.
- Place a non stick pan on medium heat and add the oil.
- When the oil hazes add the Cumin and mustard seeds.
- When these sputter add the asafoetida.
- Now tip in the cauliflower florets and stir.
- Add the red chilli, turmeric, green chilli, minced garlic and salt.
- Stir, lower heat and place the lid over the pan and allow to steam cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the peas, stir and allow to cook through for a further 5 minutes.
- Finally add the cumin coriander powder, mix, taste and adjust as required.