Pigeon Peas and Aubergine Curry (Rengan Toovar nu Shaak)
No Gujju household goes a week without the inclusion of an Aubergine on their menu...and as such here's a recipe of one my little girls favourite shaak's or curries.
Author: Mina Patel
Recipe type: Easy
Cuisine: Indian Gujarati
- 300g toovar (1 bag frozen)
- 1 Aubergine cut into large cubes
- 1 - 2 tomatoes skinned and puréed or about 4 tbsp passata
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- Garlic ginger green chilli pulped.
- 1 tsp cumin coriander powder
- 1 tsp sugar (optional)
- Ingredients for vhaghar (flavouring the oil)
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp carom / ajwain seeds
- 1 dry red chilli
- Pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- Wash and boil the pigeon peas with ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp tumeric till cooked through.
- Drain and set aside. (Approx 8 minutes)
- Cut Aubergine and keep in cold water to avoid discolouration. (Adding a sprinkle of salt helps)
- Add oil to the pan and set on medium heat.
- Flavour the oil with mustard seeds, and the Carom/
- Ajwain seeds.
- When these crackle add the cubed Aubergine, and sprinkle over the turmeric.
- Followed by ½ tsp salt, and toss / mix gently.
- Now add red chilli powder, green chilli, ginger, and pulped garlic.
- Gently mix and allow to cook through on medium to low heat. (Do not add water - steam will help cook Aubergine through)
- Once Aubergine is softened add puréed tomato.
- Mix gently to allow the sauce to bubble. (Taste and add sugar if required)
- Add coriander cumin powder.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
- Servie with piping hot Khadi and hot Chapatti's.